Involving your kids in the kitchen enhances their appreciation and basic knowledge of different foods and good nutrition. You can teach them safe ways to handle food as well as simple cooking techniques. Plus, the time spent together is invaluable family time and encourages a lifetime of healthy eating.
How Can Kids Help?
10. Mean Green Cleaning Machine. Let them wash fruits and vegetables when preparing for cooking or eating.
9. Pick A Peck! When shopping, let them select a new fruit or vegetable to try … or several!
8. Make It Snappy! Let them snap the green beans, snap peas, or break the florets from the broccoli or cauliflower.
7. I Spy. Play “I Spy” when shopping for produce.
6. Tear It Up! Let them tear the lettuce for salads and sandwiches.
5. Measure Up! Let them measure the frozen vegetables before cooking them.
4. Peel & Slice. Older children can peel and slice carrots, cucumbers, potatoes … the list goes on!
3. Stir & Spice. Make applesauce from fresh apples. Let them help stir and add the cinnamon.
2. A Sprinkle A Day… Let them sprinkle herbs or other seasonings onto vegetables.
1. Monster Mash! Pull out the potato masher!
As always, please send recipes you would like to share to email@example.com.