The Smithfield Farmers Market strives to be a guiding force in shaping the environmental, social, and financial health of downtown by bringing the highest quality local growers and food artisans together to the Smithfield community. The farmers market contributes to the sustainability and success of downtown by serving as a community gathering place, a vehicle for a regional economy, and a center for fresh, local food.
The market aims to:
- Attract people to downtown
- Keep local dollars local – creating and sustaining local regional jobs
- Educate the public about the nutritional and environment benefits of eating locally
- Be a hub for community gathering
- Increase access to healthy, fresh produce and locally produced foods
- Support sustainable farms to preserve the North Carolina landscape